Yield: 6 servings
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
5 to 6 cups cubed day-old crusty French or Italian bread (about 8 ounces)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk, preferably whole milk
3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 ground cloves
1 cup heavy cream, whipped if desired
- Center an oven rack and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the softened butter evenly over the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan. Set aside. Bring several cups of water to a boil and keep hot at a simmer.
- Put the bread into a deep bowl and pour the 1 cup heavy cream, the Jack-O Traveler Pumpkin Shandy, and the milk over it. Let sit, stirring occasionally, while you make the rest of the dish. You want the bread to absorb most of the liquid.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, eggs, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves until smooth. Pour over the soaked bread and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Place the pan into a larger baking dish, and fill that dish with about 1 inch of the hot water. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a table knife inserted in the center comes out clean (don’t over-bake).
- Remove pudding pan from the pan with water and allow to cool a bit. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or heavy cream drizzled on top.